* No matter what, Homs will be signposted. This will not be helpful.
* Maps vary wildly in accuracy. There are no accurate maps.
* These maps mean nothing to locals. That said, always ask directions from the dudes sitting down in front of the local stores. They know what’s up.
* There are no gas stations. If you find a gas station, it won’t have any gas.
* If you don’t bring a compass, you will not know what direction you are headed for 2-3 hours in the middle of the day.
* If you see Bedouin settlement camps, you’ve probably gone the wrong way.
* If these camps are abandoned, start to panic.
* If you ask for directions to Damascus, half of the time the person will ask to go with you. The other half of the time they will invite you for tea.
* You probably will not find the archaeological site. Sorry.
* Never follow a wadi.
Life lessons, y’all.